Friday, June 23, 2006

 

ready



Now, don't get me wrong. Egypt has been once in a life-time, and I've seen amazing things, and I'm so greatful. But I'm so ready to leave. Since Mike left us yesterday we've gotten as harassed on the streets of Luxor as we did in Cairo. To buy things, to take taxis, falukas... I'm so ready to walk down the street with my Star of David necklace and hebrew t-shirts, and feel safe.. as a woman.. a Jew.. a white person.

Yesterday we took a faluka ride down the Nile for four hours, which was beautiful, and we saw the sunset from it. So beautiful. I wish we could've gone swimming, the water was so warm, but it looked so dirty. Jake made this comment.. "People have been doing this for over 5,000 years." How cool is that? We stopped at "Banana Island" where they grow lots of fruit, but alas, it was all not ripe yet. We walked out of our hostel this morning after sleeping in really late, which was SO nice. We went to lunch, pizza, and now we're sitting around waiting for the noon-day sun to pass to go shopping. When we walked out of our hostel it was the midday prayers on Friday, the most important of the week, and the entire town was stopped and everyone was on the sidewalk on their knees praying. It was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen, hundreds of people lining the sidewalks. If I could've taken a photo I would've, I wish I could've.

Oh, and yesterday, that Celine Dion song played 7 times in a row. Not so funny. Now N*Sync's "As Long as You Love Me" came on. Haha. Oh wow, now "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely". Hardcore.

Comments:
Aww Bethany, you're so brown and hot! I love it!
-Candice
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]