Thursday, July 06, 2006

 

Gregory: This is for you. The shuk & Hebrew

So Hebrew rules my life. I wake up at 7, get out of class at 2, nap, study, eat, study, sleep. I've never worked this hard before in my life, but I actually really don't mind it. It's so amazing how much I've learned in the past week, I already have a test tomorrow, so it makes sense that I'm down here blogging instead of studying, yes I realise this, but I've been studying three-five hours a day and am fairly up to date on all of the information on the test.

I've been doing practically nothing with my days so I haven't had much to write about, however, I did go to the shuk (marketplace) today with five other people, we took the bus downtown and we all bought tons of fresh fruit and bread... It was such a cultural experience to walk down that street with people throwing fish and poultry around and haggling.. which I did not do, even though I've been trying to find kippot for a few guy friends.. I can't find any that are quality that aren't too expensive. I was walking through taking it all in when out of the corner of my eye I saw an old man running a shop wearing a short sleeved t-shirt with a tattoo on his arm, I did a double take before he caught me looking, and I realised he was a survivor. Made me really come back to Earth, realise where I was.. what I was doing.. I was fairly quiet for the rest of the night and Gavin kept on asking me if I was alright..

Last night I was talking to Julie (my roommate, it's weird I haven't mentioned her before, but I feel like I've known her forever, she's so cool and we get along SO well) about Israel, about Judaism, and why I've always felt so connected to it. We talked about this amazing place that we're living in this summer, the blood of passionate men that died for this land from aucune (bah I don't know the word in English) countries and religions. I can't really go into it without sounding like a complete loser, but it made me tear up a bit, and reappreciate this amazing place that I'm so fortunate to spend three months in.

Test tomorrow, et puis Shabbat.. I need to find something to do, somewhere to go.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]