Monday, June 25, 2007

 

First month: check

I am one-third of the way through the summer, I have passed the one month mark... Hurrah! And to think, I only got an ameba, a severe intestinal bacterial infection, and a cold! I can't wait to see what the next two months bring.. gulp. Just kiiiding. I've also bought a lot of nice clothes and met really great Cambodians.

Teaching is tough going with my level two's, as all we've been doing is talking about food.. You can't bulshit with them like you can with the higher levels, as they often have a difficult time understanding. I'm stopping after tomorrow with the book for a little while, but I'm flying through the text too fast, and I'm going to have to resort to movies and games to make it through to August.

I booked all my trips for my week off a few days ago. I'm going to Siem Reap, home of Angkor Wat, from Saturday to early Tuesday morning before a flight to Singapore where I will remain until Thursday night, and then I will go to Bangkok until early Sunday AM when I return to Phnom Penh.

My trip to Teul Sleng (S-21 genocide museum) was interesting. It's an old high school used by the Khmer Rouge as a torture prison, and 10,000 people died there (only 6 made it out alive). I was followed by a very pushy and touchy feely monk for about 20 minutes, and we were upstairs in a row of cells, and no-one was around, and he pushed me into a cell. For a minute I knew a slight slight fraction of the fear the prisoners there must have felt. I pushed him, gingerly, (he's a monk!) and walked briskly away from him. The place has an omnipresent silence about it, and it felt almost sac religious to scream, even if I felt as if I were in danger.

I'm going to go and try and get my computer fixed Wednesday I think, I wish I could upload some photos.. sorry guys.

Comments:
eww creepy monk! thats so scary
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]