Monday, July 30, 2007

 

Crazy but typical few days in Cambodia

The last few days have been so interesting, but so typical of the experiences I've had this summer.

Sunday on the beach I would be sitting in seemly paradise, however every so often mine victims, missing a leg usually, would come over with a box of videos and books around their neck selling things. It was disgusting and quite sad that these disabled men were forced to crutch their way through the sand hunched over, holding a heavy box of books and DVDs around their neck. The best I could do was smile and nod, at least acknowledge them, which is more than most tourists do. They would smile back though, these sincere wonderful smiles, which are so typical of the people here.

On the bus home we passed by an accident and I saw my second 'dead guy' while living here. I on average see an accident daily (when I go out), so considering this, the fact that I've only seen two deaths is a miracle.

Also on Sunday a new teacher arrived, Sue, from South Africa. She was supposed to be taking over Jessie's classes while she is in Siem Reap this week, but is too nervous to do so yet, so is just co-teaching with us until she feels ready. She watched me teach Jessie's level 1 class and was sincere in saying she thinks that I am a natural teacher, which I found very kind.

Last night we went out to drinks to celebrate Sue's arrival. Lee and I went on seperate motos and the moto driver got lost, and neither of us really had a clear idea of where we were going to begin with (Helena had told the moto driver and then stayed behind to get on another). We got off and went into Lucky Supermarket so I could buy chocolate and also to ask directions. In there we met Sopheap, Narin's wife. Narin owns Coffee Korner, a cafe we all often go to. Last week he had a free dinner for us at the restaurant and opened 4 bottles of French wine he bought while in Hong Kong. They both work for Bangkok Airways as flight attendants in addition to owning the cafe. She has a car (whoa!) and drove us to Street 278 but really wasn't sure where we were going either. When we mentioned Flavours, the name of the bar she said, "Oh! My friend owns that place!" It was so lucky and funny that we ran into her, and Lee and I felt like celebrities when we drove up to the outdoor restaurant and bar and everyone saw us get out of a car. She went back to her house to get Narin, and the lot of us sat there and enjoyed some cocktails and good conversation. Narin drove Michelle, Helena and I back to our house in their car, and the whole time we pretended as though we were flying a plane back. Narin would call Helena his "co-pilot" and ask her to perform the landing checklist for example. It was quite fun, probably more than it would've been if we all hadn't been a little tipsy.

Yesterday the police found three bombs at the base of a monument in the centre of Phnom Penh. The monument celebrates the Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia which led to the downfall of the Khmer Rouge regime. It's very controversial because the Vietnamese are historic rivals and often enemies of the Cambodian people. They also overstayed their welcome in 1979 when they invaded, staying for 10 years. There was also an explosion and fire near the airport which destroyed five planes Narin told me. None of my students knew anything about it, and there is the possibility that it's being hidden by the government. They knew there was a fire near the airport, destroying fifty homes, but I'm not sure which version is the truth. There are a lot of problems with the government here, and the possibility is that there might be a coup or something of the likes in the works. Alice and I are going to our respective embassies to register today just in case. Even if there were anti-governmental violence, it would not be targeted against the foreigners, so I'm safe either way. However, I tend to bring bad luck with me whereever I go (does anyone remember the war last summer while I was in Israel), so I'm expecting anything.

Anywho, I'm going to go and take a nap before going to the post office and the embassies later today.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]