Thursday, July 05, 2007

 

New addiction

I just picked up my dress that I had made at the Russian market today, and I have a totally new and foreign addiction. Clothes making. I bought this beautiful raw silk fabric for $24 and had the dress made for $20. I think I am going to have skirts made, tons for Shabbat, and on average it will cost $12 per skirt, when I get to design it, pick the fabric, and have it custom fitted. I'm spending more than I wanted to this summer, but to have beautiful clothes made I'm willing to be in debt a little.

Tonight I'm going to the French Culture Centre for a photography show openning. Three of the students that are being showcased are students at the school, although none of them are mine.

The other day one of my students really floored me. I don't really like him (he doesn't appreciate my being Jewish and not Christian, and asks me inappropriate questions like 'does Cambodia give you diarrhea?'). We were practicing illness words and each student made a sentence using one or two vocabulary words. He chose "dizzy"and "faint".

"During the Pol Pot regime I would work for 12-16 hours with very little food. I would feel dizzy all day when I was working in the fields. At the end of the day walking back to the village sometimes I would faint and my friends would carry me."

A lot of my students know very little about the Khmer Rouge, but one of my students is studying it intently. He has told me that all of his grandparents and all of his father's siblings died during that time, and he is on a quest to find out why and how. The KRT (Khmer Rouge Tribunal) has just kicked off, but most folks around here regard it as a big of a joke. We're just waiting for the government to find some reason to stop it, as after 1993 many Khmer Rouge alumni were allowed into government positions. They have a scary amount of power, and the Prime Minister, among other crazy and corrupt things, has been floating the idea of kicking out all of the foreigners.

On another note, I have four and a half days before my flight leave after school lets out in the end of August. I'm thinking about going up to Rattakankri province, in the northeast, and checking out the minority villages, waterfalls, and elephant treks. I'm starting to look into it now and it should be a blast.

I'm trying to upload pictures as I type but the internet connection is too slow. I'm going to be in Singapore in a week and a half, so I'll do it there.

Vacation is coming soon, and then after that I only have five more weeks! Where has the time gone?!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]