Saturday, May 31, 2008

 

San Marcos = heaven

On the recommendation of a bunch of Israelis, we headed to San Marcos de Laguna on the Lake of Atitlan. The ride here was unbelievable, we veered and swerved our way through roads blasted into the mountains for over two hours, and I´m definitely going to need some dramamine on the way back down. We arrived to the lake and took the last ferry boat from the main village on the lake to San Marcos. It was night, and by miracle alone, we found our hostel, La Paz. Our accommodations keep getting cooler by the city. Its in a hut, and there are four beds, two in the loft, which is where Vanessa and I are staying. Michelle and another woman are staying below. Yesterday was a lazy day, hanging out and making new friends. We went into the wet sauna here and spent over an hour and a half. The sauna was basically a small stone home that you can´t stand in, and the ¨door¨ is the size of an oven door. You throw water onto the heater to create steam, and it got really hot really fast. It felt amazing. We all jumped out once to take a cold shower, but we used salt to exfoliate, and today my skin feels really soft. We also sang some niguns (shabbat songs) and the acoustics were really amazing, it was great fun and I think we´re going back today. We had dinner in the Paco Real restaurant last night and the night before, and it was so amazing. I thought before I came here that I would lose weight on this trip. I was so wrong. We have not had a bad meal, not even a meal that was subpar. We leave Monday for Antigua, and on Tuesday at 4am we go to Copan in Honduras. I kind of don´t ever want to leave. We´ve met some really cool people, and it´s funny how the Isrealis have been looking out for us little American Jewish girls. I´m off for an appointment with a woman that feels your chee or shakras or whatever and then makes a piece of jewelry to compliment it. San Marcos is all about all that mystical shit, and I think if I do yoga or meditation my membership in the Republican party will be revoked. I´m excited to get back to the States and start my internship at Republican Youth Majority (RYE). We´ve been talking a lot of politics, and I´ve realised how much of a Republican I really am, and I can´t wait to work for an organisation and work with people that are like-minded. Anywho, off to get my shakras assessed.

Comments:
Heard about tropical storm Arthur barreling through Mexico, Belize and Guatemala... where are you?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]