Sunday, June 01, 2008

 

Leaving San Marcos manana

It´s been quite the wonderful stay in paradise, but it´s getting to be time to move on. Today is our last full day here, we leave tomorrow around 10am. I´m excited to return to Antigua to do laundry and have a real shower. I´ve only had one while we´ve been in San Marcos because there is no water pressure, and while that bath in the lake was refreshing a few days ago, it was also completely frigid. I think the things I like the most about San Marcos are the smells and the sounds. It always smells like fresh rain, and there are flowers everywhere. The sounds are usually birds and the sounds of Mayan people in the hills singing, and it travels down here. There are these petrol explosions, we don´t really understand what they are, but the occur about 6x a day, and it sounds like there are bombs going off. Other than those, it´s been wonderful. I´m starting to miss home a bit, and it´s strange to realise that all the things I´m missing I´ll never have back, given that I´m not going back to Rutgers. I´m excited to start this new chapter in my life when I get back, but for now, I´m really enjoying this backpacker lifestyle. I don´t know how people do it for months and years, however.

Monday night we will spend in Antigua, and at 4am on Tuesday morning we will take a bus to the Copan Ruins, on the Honduras side of the border. We will then move on, and see where the wind blows us. We´ve scheduled a lot of time in Granada and in Isla de Omtempe, and we´re getting the feeling that it might be too much time.

Lori - as for tropical storm Arthur, it´s disintegrated into just rain now, and it seems as though we´re ahead of it, so no worries.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]